Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Post 9

Although I'm not very familiar with a wide variety of web-based tools I could use in education, one I do know I could use is Wiki. I learned about Wiki through this class, and feel that it's a very appropriate and beneficial educational tool. Wiki is a program that allows groups of people to share information with one another, and also to collaborate with one another. You can add information, or edit existing information, making group work and assignments much more convenient. It allows groups to meet and work together without physically having to be in the same location. I could use Wiki in the classroom by allowing my students to utilize the program in group work, or by using it myself to collaborate with other educators.
Wiki is a program that can be used to be educators and students alike, because it is very simple and basic. It isn't complicating, which allows students to access a mutual site, editing and adding information to the project. Also, as a teacher, I could too work with my students through Wiki, either adding additional information, or editing work they've already posted. Moreover, the simplicity and convenience of Wiki makes it a web-based tool/program I feel would be beneficial in my career as an educator, and also as a student.
The skill I would like to learn about and use next, is html coding. I feel that it would be very useful to me to be able to create websites that my students could access and utilize in class. I could post homework assignment, help, and contact information on this site. I know that html coding is a big part of creating websites, and I have no prior experience with it. Also, beside being able to create a class site for my students, I could also use a website for parents to communicate with me, and check grades. Knowing how to manage my own site would allow me to independently handle websites I use in my class, making the process a lot easier for myself. Thus, hmtl coding and website development is the skill I would like to learn next to benefit me in the classroom.
There are many educational technology-related goals I possess. Before I have my own class and students, I would like to be able to better use Excel, and Powerpoint. I am grateful I was introduced to these programs in this class, and one way I could reach my goals to master my skills in these programs would be to take another computer class, or do technological training sometime before taking on my own class. Another goal I have, as mentioned earlier, is to be able to develop my own website. I would like to be able to post assignments, grades, field trip information, and just communicate in general with my students and parents through this site. I feel a website would be convenient for both my students and I, because it can be accessed at any time, and is always there. In order to achieve this goal, I plan to take a website development class next semester. Overall, in order to achieve my technology-related goals in the classroom, I need more education in using Excel, Powerpoint, and website development. Thankfully, this class has definitely started me off on the right foot.

No comments: