Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Post 8

Chapter 8 discussed the common issues/problems we face today in regard to computer crime, hacking, and other illegal acts. As technology progresses and advances, unfortunately, so do technology related crimes and issues with personal and public computers. One problem, a problem I'm sure we've all either encountered or heard about, is the computer virus. Computer viruses are programmed or designed to get into your computer and slow them down, delete things, or completely crash your computer. Another problem, is hacking. Hackers can steal your identity, or on a more national level, hack into government files/systems. Identity theft is a common problem, and hackers use identity theft to steal credit card information, make unauthorized purchases, and often ruin peoples' credit. Vandalism, identity theft, and computer viruses are all negative problems associated with technology that we need to address and solve as a community. Aside from problems with technology, the chapter also discussed assistive technology. This is technology that can help disabled people, such as the blind, deaf, or mentally disabled. This is helpful in extending the benefits of technology to all people.
The power point project we did over the break taught me a lot about the program and the tools you can use to make it more useful. Prior to the assignment I had little experience with power point, and the experience I did have was very limited. I didn't know how to add animation and transitions, which I feel made my project much better than it would have been. Doing this second power point project, I'm sure, will be a challenge.
My spring break was fabulous. I hope everyone else had as much fun as I did. I gave technology a rest and enjoyed the good ‘ole outdoors. My dad came home from Korea for a brief midtour…just in time to celebrate my birthday! Unfortunately he has to head back at the end of the month, but I am so glad I got to see him and to spend some quality time not only with him but with my whole family. I miss them so much!

No comments: