Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Post 3

In Chapter 4, different internal and external devices, such as hardware, software, storage units, and other devices that aid in computer functioning were explained and discussed. The two main ideas or topics discussed were input and output. Input is categorized into four categories, and defined or explained as "something you put into your computer." It could be information, data, etc. The four categories input is broken into are data, programs, commands, and user response. This "input" is entered using keyboards, your mouse, voice command, etc. After it's in the computer, it's processed and becomes output. Output could be sound, words, pictures, or any other function. Output can be shown on a screen, heard through speakers, or could be pages sent to your printer. Besides input and output, Chapter 4 also discusses storage. Storage is any device or application that saves information or programs. Storage could be an internal hard-drive, or external disks and CDs. Input, output, and storage are imperative for any computer to function properly.
This week, I'd like to share with the class my current confusion and frustration with Microsoft Word 2007. I was at my apartment trying to work on my newsletter that I was too tired to do in class, and somehow managed to "lock" Microsoft Word so that it wouldn't even let me type...my keyboard worked on the internet or with any other program, but it would not let me type on Word. Consequently, it is 4:00 in the morning, and I'm going to have to try and get to class early to do my newsletter!?! I don't really know..if anyone knows how to fix a "locked" Microsoft Word and could share that with me, that would be fabulous.
Since last class, although I haven't finished my newsletter yet, I learned how to insert a border onto my page, use Word Art, and make everything easier using textboxes. This assignment has also taught me a great deal regarding how to make things aesthetically pleasing, which will help me a lot in my teaching career. Now hopefully I can manage to finish this newsletter in time to get a grade for it. Obviously, although I've learned a lot, I'm still not very computer savvy.

No comments: