Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Post 10

There are many technological strategies discussed in the "Special Feature" insert on page 450 of the textbook, many of which I would consider using in the classroom. Although there are many options and forms of technology I could use, the one I find particularly interesting is integrating "teacher-created content" into technology. This article discusses allowing the teacher to create there own content, but still rely on technology for convenience. This feature would allow you to create your own website where students and parents could access digital media versions of practice tests, homework assignments, project reviews, lecture materials, and more. I feel this would be an awesome aid to instruction, because it can be accessed at any time, from any place. Students could also use this website to communicate with me and share ideas about how to improve the site. Other useful technological resources discussed in the Special Feature insert were curriculum websites, integration strategies, and blogs. These are all ideas I feel would be useful in my instruction in the classroom.
The topic I found was very interesting and also commonly discussed through other students blogs is Wiki. Myself included, discussed Wiki and it's value and benefits in my blogs. I think it's interesting how students can communicate and collaborate so easily, without even meeting up. Judging by the discussion in the blogs, I feel that all of us were glad we learned about Wiki, and how to use, because now we all have ideas and hopes of what we could use Wiki for in the future. Some other popular topics among our blogs were Excel, Powerpoint, and website creation. Overall, I feel like we all learned so much, and now have to much left to learn and look into regarding technology and education.
The technology-related skill I would most like to learn next, beside HTML coding and web-design, which I discussed in my last blog, would be how to master Excel. I look forward to fully mastering such skills and showing what I’ve learned through our final project. Working on the final project has helped me to become more comfortable, but there are still many formulas and concepts I haven't fully grasped and been able to use. Thus, the next technology-related skill I would like to possess is a better mastery of Excel.
As discussed in my previous blog, I would love to take more classes regarding technology, because there is so much I still want to learn and be able to allow my students to learn from me. Technology is becoming increasingly important in education today, and I hope that by the time I have my own classroom I'm able to aid my students in functioning and benefitting from these advancements. Taking classes, creating my own website, and utilizing available resources such as Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Wiki, Inspiration, and Podcasts effectively are all things that will help me to achieve my educational goals, which are to help my students to the best of my abilities.

No comments: